Wednesday 18 April 2012

Get Five from Top Five

Here are the profiles of this week's top 5. What an incentive to aim high.

* * * 

PATRICK

I'm concerned that this 'Top 5' is encouraging a certain elitism... why don't we want to know about the 'Bottom 5'? Far be it for me to complain, I should get my answers out quick smart for if the past however many years we've been doing this is anything to go by I'll be hovering around the lower depths for most of the season. With this in mind:

1. As above suggests, I am a caring egalitarian, who however has deep admiration for virtuosity and skills that take a life (and a certain amount of natural talent) to perfect.
2. I wonder if it is ever possible for a human to be perfect.
3. While I once sat in awe looking at Sylvie Guillem, a dancer of phenomenal precision, I was ultimately left cold. I am far more attracted to people who are deeply imperfect.
4. That said, I feel very privileged to have been a fan of the Swans for Adam Goodes' entire playing career. There have been many moments over the course of this time in which I have marvelled at his godlike talent.
5. There have also been many moments when I have dreaded the fact that he is the one standing in front of goal holding the ball. I love Adam Goodes because for all his genius, there have been many occasions when he has presented himself as profoundly human. I sometimes wonder how good a tipper Adam Goodes is.

MATHILDE

1. My favourite position is the half back flanker, the architect of the game who can zone off his direct opponent, break the lines and turn defence into attack. I grew up on Gavin Wanganeen.
2. I prefer brunettes. Or darker ...
3. My favourite place in Sydney is Mahon Pool, Maroubra.
4. I’d like to live in Paris, in a Marais flat with original floorboards, ceiling high windows, an Abyssinian cat and a Tanis desk by Pierre Paulin.
5. If I were not a footy loving human, I’d be a Moomin in Finland. 

SHAAR

1.  I’m an avid Swans member and fan.
2.  My happiest footy moment was being at the MCG cheering the Swans to victory in the 2005 Grand Final.
3.  Barking Dog (Gary) and Minnamurra (Cath) are my Dad and Stepmum.
4.  In 2012, I’m loving being able to watch 4 live games per round on free to air TV.

MARK 

1. I live next door to Ted Richards.  He plays for the Swans.
2. All of Ted's friends have smooth skin and firm young bodies.  They are exceptionally affable; and the apartment is noiseless.
3. Last summer Ted let me have his newspaper when he was on holiday.  Unfortunately I was away, too.
4. At Christmas Ted went home to Melbourne, and caught a cab to the airport with Adam Goodes.  
5. This I saw with my own eyes. 

JaTS

1. The JaTS, originally J@TS (I wanted funky late-90s digital cred), are founding tippers and current Backpocket runnersup. 
2. We're also the Backpocket's only father-son team (are we?); combining Joe's erratic genius and my (Tony's) plodding conservatism. 
3. We're couch-based Swans supporters and despite Mathilde's frequent prodding and living only a fine torp from the SCG we're rarely at the footy. 
4. Although, deep deep down I'm a Saints boy - drawn from my early formative years living in Melbourne (Boroondara Park Primary) in 1966/67. Who else would an impressionable 6 year old adopt as his team?
5. Our tipping tip: mind your margins. They're the difference between winning and losing.

* * * 

No comments:

Post a Comment