Wednesday 11 April 2012

Word from LANTERZ



Nigel (aka Lanternz) sent this through during the week. Nigel was responsible for recruiting our current leader John (aka Backpocket) last season.


Dear Tipsmistress,

Current top of the ladder "Backpocket" and I often have a mutual commentary on the team at selection and recent discussions prompt me to share the following with your loyal readers. "Backpocket" is a life long Swans supporter and a very keen observer of the game. We understand that player field positions appearing in the announced team are largely about spin and obfuscation but sometimes it is cause for thought. And so the team to play Freo prompted the following exchange:

Lanternz: Pleased to see they have listened to you and dropped Everitt. Great to see Shaw back and in a nice attacking position on the wing. LRT at FF seems a good idea but will they really play him there? Where was he last week?

Backpocket: Here's the thing. If we are to win the flag we will almost certainly have to beat Hawthorn at some point in the finals. To do that we have to curb Franklin. He annihilated Richards in the elimination final last year. Grundy was out but would he do any better? I don't think so. I think Grundy would be too slow and Franklin would carve him up. That leaves LRT who I think could match and possibly negate Franklin. He has the speed, strength and skill. He has always played his best football in the back half, who can forget his stunning job in the 2005 Grand Final. So what is the point of him playing forward now when I bet you they will have him on Franklin whether they like it or not because he will be the only one who can do the job? I'd have him concentrating on a defensive role from now on, so that he will be ready to take on Franklin when the time comes. I'd have picked White and dropped Malceski. That said it will be a tough job today. It's a beautiful day here and quite warm so rotations are going to be very important. Naturally I've tipped the Swannies but it will be a tight game. I reckon we will get a crowd of 30,000.

Now, dear Tipsmistress, we know that Horse must be a regular reader of your column and we see a great opportunity to guide him towards the FLAG this year if we all pitch in and offer such sound advice as Backpocket has offered. Although I understand he has now (post match) reversed his opinion on Malceski as he did last year in his opinion of Mike Pyke.

Your loyal reader,

Lanternz

1 comment:

  1. I am not sure I agree 100% John. I like LRT as a kind of horrible surprise wherever he finds himself. He seemed to work wonderfully well as a utility/second ruck on the weekend, even with the broken cheekbone. I am wondering if Alex Johnson may be up for the job on Franklin by Round whatever it is. As long as he had someone to plug the space in front. As for Mal, no-one kicks so sweetly off the left. No-one. Although consistency is elusive.

    ReplyDelete